Finding the Category of a URL with WebsensePing
- Article Number: 000012054
- Products: Forcepoint URL Filtering, Forcepoint Web Security, TRITON AP-WEB, Web Filter & Security, Web Security Gateway, Web Security and Web Filter
- Version: 8.5, 8.4, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0, 7.8
- Last Published Date: September 25, 2018
During troubleshooting, its sometimes necessary to determine the category for a particular URL. While this can be done by browsing to the site, and then reporting on your activity, there is a faster and easier way to find this information for individual sites: the WebsensePing utility.
This utility provides the category under which the site is currently being filtered. Typically, this is the category assigned by Forcepoint in the Master Database. However, if you have re-categorized the site in Forcepoint Security Manager, WebsensePing shows the new category.
Additionally, WebsensePing displays the filtering action (disposition) assigned in the Global policy.
where <url> is replaced by the URL of the site. For example, to find the category for Google, enter one of the following, according to your operating system:
4. If the category and disposition are not what you expect, use Forcepoint Security Manager to re-categorize the site or to change the Global policy.
The WebsensePing utility offers a variety of other options for testing internal Forcepoint processes. For more information, see Using WebsensePing to determine the category or filtering disposition for a URL.